Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Met!

The other day my parents and I visited my aunt, uncle, and cousin in New Jersey. The second day we were there, we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. My dad really wanted to see the Saint-Gaudens exhibit, so we went to the American wing and saw, among other things, his sculpture of Diana.


We also saw this gorgeous mantel-piece by Saint-Gaudens.


In that same room, I saw the Tiffany fountain. It’s an EXTREME fountain.


I loved the modern and contemporary art collections. We saw this machine. You have to press a button with your foot to start it. It goes for about 30 seconds. This is the only video I could find of it.



The period rooms were also a favorite of mine. We saw the Frank Lloyd Wright period room, and it was gorgeous. It reminded me of the time I went to Falling Water a few years ago. The period room was fantastic! There were beautiful glass windows, and there was a window seat that went the length of the room.


I noticed that like the guest houses at Falling Water, the period room had a Hiroshige print. I love Hiroshige’s work! This is not the print in the room, but it’s one of my favorites.


We also saw the Temple of Dendur.


It was gorgeous, and was built around 15 B.C., so imagine my surprise when I saw that there was graffiti from almost 200 years ago on the temple! I was amazed.


I was upset that we missed seeing the roof garden and the costume institute, but it was great to finally get to visit the museum. We could have been in there for weeks and we wouldn’t have been able to see everything in it! I really wish we could have stayed there longer. Maybe we will next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment