Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Twelfth Night!


I've been reading Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare for my summer reading. Scratch that - I've been practically memorizing Twelfth Night. I chose to read the play when I went to a Shakespeare Camp and I performed an abridged version of it. At the camp, I did many things with the text and with my lines specifically. I wanted to read the entire play and do all of the textual exercises with it. This summer, I've read the full play at least 5 times, and I'm pretty sure I'll end up reading it at least 2 more times. I've read it so many times that I've practically memorized it. Put all of this effort is not in vain! Each time I go through the play, I do a different exercise. Whether it's marking the lines of verse (iambic pentameter) with stressed or unstressed syllables, or paraphrasing the Elizabethan English into Modern English, each time I get something different out of the play. I know exactly what's going on in every act and scene, and now I can understand the Elizabethan English better than I could before. I've become officially obsessed with Twelfth Night, and consequently, with all of Shakespeare's work. After I finish working on Twelfth Night, I think I'll move on to Hamlet. I need to read it before it shows at the Folger Shakespeare Theater in Washington, D.C. I can't wait!! I found the above picture online the other day, I thought it pretty much got the gist of the final scene of the play.

1 comment: